Thursday, May 8, 2008

My Beautiful Mother


Happy Mothers Day Mom!
I am so greatful to have you for my Mother. It's funny how when you are growing up you don't realize how nice you have it or how blessed you are to belong to such a wonderful family.
Don't get me wrong, I knew I was happy, living in a comfortable home with great parents and four awesome siblings, (well they were awesome most of the time) but there were so many things that I thought everyone had or did when in reality I was just extremely lucky!
For example... I thought everyone had a mom who stayed home while they were at school, cooking and cleaning and sewing cute cotton, velvet, chiffon, sear sucker, & gingham dresses to wear. I wont even get into the incredible Halloween costumes or Christmas and Easter dresses that were sewn each year. (My best friend from high school still talks about how jealous she was of my red velvet dress that I wore in the fourth grade!)
I also thought everyone sat down to the dinner table each night at six, table set with a pressed tablecloth, nice dishes, and a delicious meal. I'm not talking casseroles here, but a variety of delicious dinners every night. Sunday dinners were the best! We always ate around 1:00 and it was usually a roast, or a whole chicken cooked on the rotisserie, complete with potatoes, gravy, and always homemade rolls. Most Sundays Mom would also make homemade cinnamon rolls which we would bake two to three hours after dinner and then eat them while they were still warm. The perfect Sunday night treat!
My Mom was so good at what she did that I thought everybody grew up in a perfectly clean house with fresh clean clothes pressed and hanging in their closets at all times.... silly me!
Mom sure did know how to make our house feel like a home, warm and cozy with always the right lighting!
Yes I knew I had it good, but its funny how it wasn't until I was married and raising a family of my own that I truly understood the love a Mother has for her children. So I just want to thank my mom for all her hard work, it didn't go unnoticed. I have tried diligently to follow in her footsteps but have simply paled in comparison, and when I look back on my life I am in awe of my beautiful Mother and realize just how lucky I am.

I Love You Mom!
Love, Lisa

The picture above is of my Mom when she was around twenty one. It was taken after World War II as a gift for my Dad.
She signed it...To my darling sweetheart Love, Norma.

4 comments:

Brooke said...

It's true...we are lucky that our family is so awesome. Grandma is one amazing lady!

Happy Mother's Day!

Karli said...

Happy Mothers day Mom! love ya!

Justin said...

Happy Mother's Day Mom! And Grandma! Two little peas in a pod there sometimes! (and I mean that in a very complimentary way)

I'm lucky to have such a great Mom and such a great Grandma, you are both wonderful!

Emily Call said...

Happy Mother's Day! I love that picture of Grandma... she did such an amazing job raising her family!