Friday, August 29, 2008

Garden Goodies

I love my garden cucumbers but couldn't keep up with the growing collection that piles up in our kitchen each day, so I decided to make some Bread & Butter pickles to go along with one of my favorite things to eat....grilled hamburgers!
Here is the recipe... now you can make some too!
16 cups sliced cucumbers
8 small pearl onions
1 green & red pepper cut into strips 
Place in 9x 13 pan and sprinkle with pickling salt
Let stand for 3 hours (stir occasionally)

Rinse & drain

In large pot add 5 cups sugar 
5 cups cider vinegar 
1 & 1/2 tsp tumeric 
1 & 1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 Tablespoon mustard seed 
2 Tablespoon celery seed
Add cucumber mixture and bring to a medium boil. Boil for 2 - 3 minutes and pour into glass jars that have been sterilized. Sterilize the lids in boiling water and screw them on while they are still hot. (I cut the recipe in half since I only had eight cups of sliced cucumbers.) This filled 7 half pint jars.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

Karli said...

eww

Amazed said...

Num! You need to try Dorian's pickles as well. You keep them in the refrigerator. You can get the recipe from my blog...put Grouchy Ladies pickles in the search of the blog. Truly one of the best bread-and-butters I've ever had! You start with Nalley's Garlic pickles. Pour off the brine and make a new brine and pour over and chill. Check it out! And let's go to 5 Men and a Burger or whatever that is called...together sometime!