Monday, August 11, 2008

Presto Pesto!

I don't know about you but I love Summer, it is my favorite season and I never want it end! 
One thing I love about this time of year is the fresh garden vegetables you can grow in your very own yard. We got a load of top soil recently and made a spot for a nice garden, but we were a little late planting it so we missed out on a few of my favorites like string beans and pea's. I plan on making up for it next Spring by planting rows and rows of them!
I did however plant some basil with the intention of making some homemade Pesto, so when I came across Marilyn's Pesto recipe that she posted on her blog I got very excited, then waited patiently for the day my little basil plant would be big enough to harvest. Last Wednesday was that day! 
Below is the result of the fruits of my labor along with Marilyn's recipe for homemade Pesto.

3 cups basil  
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
2/3 cup grated fresh Parmesan Cheese
1/2 cup pine nuts
2 tablespoons minced garlic
Blend all together in blender
presto.....Pesto!
Toss with any kind of Pasta (I used wheat penne pasta) add grilled chicken, sprinkle on a little parmesan cheese, and top it off with some toasted pine nuts! 
If you like your pesto creamy like Ashley, just add a little of the pesto mixture to some fresh cream and stir over low heat until it slightly thickens. 
Yummy!

I also have Butternut Squash growing in my garden and can't wait to try some new culinary creations like....
Butternut Squash Soup
Butternut Squash & Goat Cheese Pizza
and the one I'm most excited to try....
Butternut Squash Ravioli!

Ok so I guess I would be sad if Summer never ended because just thinking about these tasty autumn dishes stirs up wonderful images of Pumpkins, Autumn leaves, warm sunny days and cool crisp nights, which I have to admit makes me a little excited for my second favorite season of the year.......Fall!

11 comments:

Justin said...

You made the Pesto without me?! Better not do the same with the Butternut Squash.

Ah, and I am so excited for fall. The best.

sophie said...

why wasn't i invited to eat pesto made fresh out of your garden. pesto pasta is only my favorite food! its the besto!!!

Syd said...

I love looking at your blog, it is so fun and creative! I know where Jusitn gets his writing ability from. Your pictures made me hungry and it is only 10am.

Lisa said...

Ha ha ha Syd you are too funny!!
I didn't know you could post comments... what a fun surprise!
I wish I had an 1/8th of Justin's writing skills, so for you to even slightly compare me to him is a huge compliment to me!
Oh and who knew Marcie was such a good little writer?She needs to do more of it.... She cracks me up!

Brooke said...

I am very jealous! I try to find fresh Basil everywhere and I can not find it!!! I want to make my own Pesto!!

Emily Call said...

mmmmm... you are making my mouth water. I will have to try that recipe. I love pesto.

Amazed said...

I'm glad you loved the recipe. It is yum! And I'm going to try the creamy version as well. I also put mine in little containers for freezing. My basil plants grew even better after I did my first harvest.

Have you had the squash ravioli dish at Macaroni Grill? It has sage in it...and it is to die for. Well, maybe not DIE for...but it is dang good!

Amazed said...

Oh, and we ALL want 1/8 of Justin's writing skills.

Lisa said...

Marilyn what are you talking about? YOU are an amazing writer!!

Justin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Justin said...

Oh stop... All of you...

You're making me blush.