Sunday, December 28, 2008

Thank Heaven for....

Hospitals!

Karli has been really sick these past few weeks, here's a little break down of what has been going on.

Dec 13th: It all started on Saturday the 13th when Karli woke up feeling a little under the weather. We knew right away she had obviously caught the nasty bug that has ravished our household since Thanksgiving. I kept my fingers crossed that she wouldn't get as sick as Jake had been but by Monday night I could tell she was just as bad.

Dec 16th: Tuesday morning it was off to the Doctor's once again to see if Karli had pneumonia this time. After blood tests and x-rays it was confirmed that she definitely had Pneumonia and it looked even worse than Jake's:( 
" At least she will be better for Christmas," I said to myself. For the next five days all she did was sleep and cough... exactly like Jake, but by Sunday instead of turning a corner and getting better she seemed to be getting worse!

Monday Dec 22nd: It was back as usual to the Doctors for more test....her x-rays seemed about the same but both ears were infected just like Jakes.... boy this nasty bug is so nasty!!! They changed her meds and gave her a very painful shot in both of her thighs at the same time  ....OUCH! Then it was back home for more of the same routine...sleep cough...sleep cough.

Wednesday Dec 24th: Karli woke up covered in hives so we called the Doctor and they wanted us to bring her in to see if she was having an allergic reaction to her new medication. They checked her out and didn't think she was but told us to watch her closely for any signs of change, so it was back home to the sofa for the rest of the day. Around 4:00 I asked her if she wanted to take a shower to see if it would help her feel better, since she hadn't showered in more than ten days. She was actually looking a little more like herself and was more coherent than she had been since getting sick. The shower was a disaster though and she ended up getting chilled and started shaking uncontrollably, so once again it was back to the sofa for the rest of the night:(

Thursday Dec 25th: Karli woke up on Christmas morning looking like a movie star! Her lips looked like she had been injected with double doses of collagen! We all got a good laugh out of it... even Karli:) She was pale and pasty but perked up long enough to lay on the couch and open her gifts. (I think she was being fueled by some Christmas morning adrenaline.) She even tried to sit up and eat Christmas dinner with us but after a few bites went into a coughing fit and had to go lay down:(

Friday Dec 26th: How are you feeling this morning Karli? "I'm fine" she replied, but I knew she wasn't. It was almost noon and she didn't want to get out of bed. Her face was gray and she couldn't keep her eyes open. I called the doctor and asked "shouldn't we have seen some kind of improvement by now?" "Can you bring her down within the hour, I want to see her before I head out of town?" "We'll be right there I said!" Karli didn't want to get out of her warm bed and I didn't blame her one bit but I told her she needed to go. It was the only way she was going to get better and boy does she want to get better!
At the Doctors office they took one look at her and said "we need to check your oxygen level," then hooked her up to a monitor. The machine went crazy... beeping and blowing whistles... they quickly put her on an oxygen tank. Ahhh finally some relief...she loved it! Then it was more blood tests and x-rays which both came back worse than the last time she was in. "Im sorry, I have tried to keep Karli out of the hospital but there is nothing more we can do for her, she neeeds to be admitted right now."

Sunday Dec 28: So here we are at Alta View Hospital going on her third day and she is in more pain than when she first got here! They are pretty sure her pneumonia is viral and that she also has pleurisy...an infection in the lining of her lungs and possibly the lining around her heart, which would explain the extreme pain she is in. They are FINALLY going to do a CT Scan and more x-rays in the morning so we should know more about her condition then.

I will end this post with this..... I love Karli so much! She is so brave and has endured a lot these past 15 days. The nurses all love her and tell her she is their favorite patient! Quote from nurse Colleen..."she's not a whiner!" Quote from nurse Mallory after asking Karli how she feels.... "She always says she's good":)

ps whoever invented Lortab....Thank you very much :)

*Update since I wrote this... Karli didn't have a very good day today and it made us all cry to watch her suffer. She was in a lot of pain and crying and the nurse came in and asked her to rate her pain on a scale from 1 to 10, her answer... "a five" Karli... you are soooo sweet!
They are now being better about giving her a pain pill every four hours before it wears off. Also she has a fever and her heart rate is way too high. The doctor ordered a drug for her to lower her heart rate but the nurse doesn't want to give it to her and is trying every thing she can to bring it down. It is almost 4:00 in the morning and the nurse is still working on Karli. Ahhhhh I can't wait until morning so she can get her tests done now!! Please pray for her:)

6 comments:

Primary said...

I can't believe it. I had no idea she was so bad! I think maybe I should draw her a picture, I'm sure that would fix everything! I'm so sorry Kars. Feel better soon!

robyn said...

I am so sad for karli! poor thing. what a soldier to not complain.I hope she starts feeling better soon.

Holly said...

Poor Karli! I feel so sad for her.

Emily Call said...

I had a hard time sleeping last night... I just kept thinking about Karli and how awful she must feel. Karli, get better soon!!!

Tanner Winnie said...

I have been praying! I freakin hate Pneumonia. FEEL BETTER KARLI!!!!!!!!

Amazed said...

I'm so sorry. I have been so busy running around crazy with my life, I forgot to read your update. Our prayers ARE with you!!!! Keep us posted! There is nothing worse than when your child hurts!